First up is entrepreneur Audrey Buckman, who was truly a pioneer in Dayton retail. She originally had a small store in the Oregon District, then took a bold leap and moved GO HOME! to the corner space in the Cannery three years before the building was transformed into trendy loft apartments. Eventually opening a second store in Centerville, then movied to it’s final location at the Village at Dayton Mall, which closed this fall when Audrey moved when her husband was offered a job in North Carolina. Below please enjoy Audrey’s list of what she misses.
“As I prepared to move away from Dayton after living there for 21 years, I posted one thing per day on my Facebook page that I would miss about Dayton for the final 10 days. Here is my list, in no particular order.”
1. Marions Piazza – A true Dayton classic.
2. Kettering Recreation Center – An absolutely amazing facility. If you have not been recently, it is a must see. The classes, facilities, equipment and staff are top notch.
3. Tank’s Bar – Another Dayton classic that attracts a really diverse crowd. Spent time there watching the OJ Simpson white Bronco chase, had beers from around the world, popped in after the Art Ball for cheese fries with a group all decked out in gowns & tuxedos – and nobody even took a 2nd look.
4. 2nd Street Public Market – Always a good mood booster with friendly faces.
5. Hills & Dales MetroPark – Another amazing facility. Loved walking my dogs through the park. Actually, the entire 5 River MetroParks system is fabulous.
7. Dorothy Lane Markets‘ umbrella brigade in the Kettering Holiday at Home parade. So much fun!
8. Virtually no traffic and ease of getting around.
9. The creative energy from so many diverse individuals and groups that really care about the Dayton area and making a difference in many ways.
10. Friends, family and familiar faces………so many good people and so many good times! Dayton is an easy place to find your niche and develop great relationships.