Jacob Stickle was born in Neckar-Thailfingen, Wurettemberg, Germany on February 26, 1825, son of John Jacob and Katerina Stickle.
Jacob helped his father on the family farm until he was old enough to be apprenticed to a butcher. He learned the trade of butchering and stayed in the business until he immigrated to the United States, landing in New Orleans on May 1, 1849. He arrived in Dayton on the first of June.
On his arrival Jacob started working for Adam Happle, a meat packer whose business was located on Valley Pike in Mad River Township. He worked for $7 a week and board. After two years Jacob had saved enough money to rent a butcher’s stand and later opened a stall in Harshmanville, on Yellow Springs Pike, which he attended for seventeen years.
In 1868, Jacob purchased the brewery of Sander and Stoppelman on Warren Street. When he started the business he decided to use only the best quality products, and to make his beer out of only barley, malt and hops.
In 1881, the City Brewery building burnt down. Jacob Stickle rebuilt and enlarged it at an expense of eight thousand dollars, building a three and a half story brick factory. The ice houses had a storage capacity of 2,000 tons and the beer cellars of 3,000 barrels. The first year the business made 4,000 barrels of beer and by 1882 the brewery was producing 7,000 barrels annually. The business required ten men and several teams for delivering the beer to local businesses.
Jacob married Barbara Drechsel on August 31, 1851 and they had two children. Jacob’s son, William, later helped his father run the brewery. In 1890, the business moved to 653 and 655 Warren Street. Jacob Stickle merged his brewery with The Dayton Breweries Company in 1904 and then sold out his part.
Jacob died on November 20, 1908 and is buried in Section 63 Lot 1126.