August Becherer was born in Germany. He served as a Captain in the Fourth Ohio Cavalry during the Civil War. He was a member of nearly every soldier’s organization in the city of Dayton at the time of his death.
John B. Wager, August Becherer and Henry Hilgefort opened the Lager Beer Brewery about 1854. It was located on the southeast comer of Hickory and Brown Streets. In 1859, August decided to try it alone and bought out his partners. In 1861, Becherer took on Henry Hussmann as a partner and changed the name to Ohio Brewery. Three years later Hussmann had had enough and left to open a grocery store. August tried again, taking on Phillip Ritter as a partner in 1868, but it only lasted two years. He finally found a lasting partner in Frank Becherer, who became part owner in 1870 and stayed with the company until it was sold to Michael Seubert and Otto C. R. Wilke in 1879. August went on to open the Oakwood Brewery that same year and Frank went to work for August.
August Becherer died at his home on Brown Street on May 11, 1885 at the age of 50. He is located in Section 111 Lot 2324.