On March 26, 1918 at a meeting of the City of Dayton Commission, John H. Patterson made public his intention to donate 294 acres lying adjacent to Dorthy Lane and known as the Community Club property. At that commission meeting Mr. Patterson also committed to donate the sum of $10,000 per year for the upkeep and maintenance of the park in 1918, 19 & 20.
The park had an informal opening on Saturday, May 4, 1918 as it was already in existence, but not generally available for public use. The formal dedication was not until later in the summer.
Now operated by the Department of Recreation and Youth Services, Community Golf Club remains a regional treasure and is celebrating 100 years and millions of rounds of golf with these events:
Friday, June 1: Throwback Golf Day. Wear knickers or bring a vintage club and enjoy the 1918 greens fee of $1.00 (tee times required and regular cart
Saturday, June 2: 73rd Annual George Klockson Memorial Tournament. Team prizes, raffles, lunch and more; register by May 26 (team of two, $140).
Saturday, June 2: 100-Year Reception at the Michael Solomon Pavilion. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres, cash bar, guest speakers, historical memorabilia, and a silent auction. Doors open at 3:30 p.m. Space is limited; tickets available at $35 per person.
Ticket buyers receive one 9-hole greens fee voucher for the 2018 season and a commemorative gift.
For more information or tickets, contact the Community Pro Shop at 937-293-2341 or visit communitygc100.org. All proceeds benefit the Friends of Community Golf Club renovation project, which is raising funds for on-course improvements such as bunker and tee box renovations. Community is located at 2917 Berkley St., Kettering.