Dayton has always had the reputation for being a globally recognized hub for innovation! The Gem City Sewing Company’s goal to provide high-quality design, cut and sew training to build on local industry momentum connecting the existing collaborative community to workforce development, technology and manufacturing. This training will be taught by an employee who works for one of the local sewn goods employers that is currently hiring sewist at $13/hr.
A subsidiary of the Dayton Emerging Fashion Incubator (DE-FI) LLC , the Gem City Sewing Company will offer free workforce development for train to sew programs in under-served communities and low-income households to pair skilled sewist with sewn goods employers including the Dayton Threads and the Dayton Garment & Textile District Resource Directory, as well as manufacturing small sewing projects for paid work, earning $12-17.50 an hour.
Located at the Dayton Mall inside of the House of (DE-FI)ance: A Fashion & Design Coworking Experience, eligible participants must reside in the the following zip codes:
45417, 45404, 45403, 45410, 45405, 45406, 45426, 45416
If your zip code is not listed above and your measure of income meets the federal poverty guidelines, you are also eligible to receive this training free of charge.
The Workforce Development program will work with area manufacturers and community organizations to develop our Industrial Sewing Training programs that prepare individuals for employment in the sewing industry.
We are here to make a difference and We do this in several ways:
- Teach job skills for sewing type occupations for employment or entrepreneurship, focusing on our local core
- Foster social capital across cultural relationships in ways to lift everyone up
- Develop & sustain community interest & involvement in social justice through our activities
- Provide learning opportunities that will create a legacy for new generations to the creative life
- Collaborate & cooperate with other non-profits with similar objectives
Training will consist of the following areas:
- Module 1 Basic Skills
- Module 2 Garment Introductions
- Module 3 Commercial Track
- Module 4 Quilting
Training Programs will consist of 3-6 months of instruction with required homework. Mandatory testing will take place after each completed module.
If you have any unused sewing supplies or working equipment that you would like to donate for this training, please email us at [email protected],