On Nov. 3, Montgomery County residents illustrated their commitment to aid the financially distressed Dayton Metro Library system by voting in favor of the 1.75 mil replacement levy.
Issue 40 passed by a huge margin. (71%) Obviously, folk were sweet on the idea of a strong library system being a vital asset to the community.
Now that the dust has settled, the canvassing has ceased, and Issue 40 signs have been plucked out of neighborhood lawns, (well, maybe not that last part) we can all chill. There’s nothing better than plugging up the Nintendo Wii and playing Mario Kart until your elbows are sore, right?
Get out and enjoy your library this holiday season. Hey, you bought it – so use it! Here’s a list of upcoming events at your Dayton Metro Library. Surely, you can find something you like:
- Famous and Not-So-Famous Inventors of Dayton, Nov. 12, 7:00 p.m. (Vandalia)
- Scrapbooking Workshop with Pam Morin, Nov. 14, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Wilmington-Stroop)
- Annie Oakley and My Dad, Nov. 16, 6:30 p.m. (Northmont)
- The Watervliet Ohio Shakers, 1806 – 1900, Nov. 16, 2:00 p.m. (East)
- Orientation to the Grants Information Center, Nov. 21, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. & Dec. 10, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. (Main Library)
- Dayton’s Rich Gypsy History, Nov. 23, 6:30 p.m. (New Lebanon)
- Adult Craft Evening, Nov. 30, 6:30 p.m. (Belmont)
- Take A Second Look: Sculptures on Downtown Dayton Street Corners in 2007, Nov. 30, 6:30 p.m. (Main Library)
- An Excursion on the Miami and Erie Canal in 1898, Dec. 7, 6:30 p.m. (Wilmington-Stroop)
- Dayton’s Historic Arcade: A Glorious Past and a Promising Future, Nov. 18, 6:30 p.m., Dec. 2, 6:30 p.m. & Dec. 7, 2:00 p.m. (Miamisburg, Kettering & Moraine)
- Armchair Tour: Oregon Historic District, Dec. 14, 6:30 p.m. (Northmont)
This is just a partial list and doesn’t include the dozens of computer classes offered weekly at the Main Library. Do yourself a favor. Go to the library’s website, or stop in and pick a copy of their newsletter. Find something you like and go!
Oh, and if you do just want to play Mario Kart on the Wii, they do that too.
Told you there was something for everyone!