SATURDAY JUNE 1 TORNADO DONATION & VOLUNTEER UPDATE
Thank YOU to everyone who has been helping their neighbors this week, and to everyone who has been at work and unable to assist – WELCOME! You are needed!
Important things to keep in mind:
- There has been an outpouring of donations this week, and everyone is so grateful! However it is becoming overwhelming for many locations at this time. They need volunteers to help sort and organize supplies so they can get them to people in need. This weekend, let’s focus on volunteerism. NOTE: Donations are going to continue to be needed in weeks to come.
- All of Montgomery County’s water has been restored and is no longer under a boil advisory. Donations of water is not as critical as it was earlier this week. Donations are still being accepted (see below for list of locations).
- If you get to a location to help or donate, and they turn you away – try not to get discouraged. The outpouring of donations is a good thing, and you are serving others simply by showing up and demonstrating you care. At the very least, say “That’s OK! We can find another place in need. We care about you.” That goes a long way!
- Please be patient with those of us who are coordinating efforts. We are doing our best to keep up with the shifting needs and locations. If you don’t know where or what to do, keep reading below – or just get into a ravaged neighborhood and make yourself useful!
- Check out this FB page for rolling updates: [you must join the group]
- You can also check my personal FB page (posts are public) for updates as well
VOLUNTEERS INFO: It’s advised you bring SPF sun block, hand sanitizer, work gloves & wear sturdy shoes, regardless of the volunteer need below. Take care of yourself!
- If you are cutting down debris – *MAKE SURE* you check with home owners before you start. Some people are still waiting on insurance adjusters to evaluate damage. Please wear closed toe shoes, good work gloves and a hat. Also bring if you have: lg garbage bags, zip ties, brooms, rakes, pruning shears, Fiskars, work tools, power tools, chain saws (with gas & oil).
- NOTE: If you or the people you are helping need tarps go to Kramer Digital Printing. They have plenty of tarps for tornado victims. Located across from Circle K at the corner of Dorothy and Springboro Pike in Moraine. 2408 W Dorothy Lane. Dayton, OH 45439
SATURDAY CLEAN UP EVENTS:
The Living City Project is organizing a coordinated cleanup across the Miami Valley
Sign up & info: https://declare.org/livingcityprojectinfo.
All locations meeting at 8:30am on Saturday, June 1st.
- Dayton Area
- Old North Dayton (park at Osman Gazi Mosque, 1508 Valley St, Dayton)
- Riverside / Shiloh Area (park in large empty lot by corner of Sue Ann Blvd & Forest Park Drive, near 4490 N Main St, Dayton)
- Northridge / Wagner Ford Rd area (park at EC Gentleman’s Club, 2213 Wagner Ford Rd, Dayton)
- Dayton Area
- Trotwood – Trotwood-Madison High School out back (4440 N Union Rd, Trotwood)
- Beavercreek – Be Hope Church (1850 N Fairfield Rd, Beavercreek)
- West Milton – Miami Lanes (1159 S Miami St, West Milton)
CENTER OF FLIGHT Riverside Clean UP Located in the open area on Springfield Street across from the Air Force Museum
The Vineyard Church (4051 Indian Ripple Road Beavercreek) is organizing a massive non denominational effort to deploy people into neighborhoods that need help. 8am registration; 8:30am orientation; 9am deployment; 4-5pm Teams return to church. **UPDATE** another group will launch at 1pm!
Old North Dayton for a neighborhood cleanup on Saturday (6/1/19), starting at 10 AM. We will meet at the corner or St. Adalbert and Freeland. Please bring gloves, face masks (for insulation), rakes, shovels, trash bags, pickers, and construction magnets (to pick up nails)
Tornado Relief Work Day on Saturday. We are meeting at 2550 S. Dayton Lakeview Rd. at 10am and sending people out in the community to specific neighborhoods to get to work! Anyone is welcome to come and help. We need trucks, trailers, chainsaws, bushhogs and able bodied people to go out and help clean up as much as we can!
Trotwood Church of the Brethren doing distribution, accepting of supplies and free lunch on Saturday 9-3 – Looking for helpers!
PLACES TO CHECK ON: I have leads that these areas need attention – but please go to official clean ups first!
- Sunny Acres 3543 Needmore Rd, Dayton
- Northlake Hills 3713 Southshore Dr, Dayton – need food, water, basics
- 437 Briarwood Ave (Senior disability location) – need food, water, basics [note, some elderly have hard time chewing so bring soft foods and Vitamin Water and protein shakes]
- Valley Platt is in Riverside on Prince Albert
- E. Nottingham in Dayton (runs off of N. Main St, between Siebenthaler and Needmore).
- Westbrooke Village Apartments 5530 Autumn Hills Dr, Trotwood
- Overlook Homes 61 Colin Kelly Dr, Riverside
- Dunbar Health and Rehab at 320 Albany St
- Riverside Nursing and Rehab at 1390 King Tree Dr in Riverside
- Gateway Cathedral on Salem & Olive
- McMahan’s trailer park behind Stebbins High School. Woodman Dr. becomes Harshman Rd. just past Eastwood Lake. Harshman Rd past Stebbins HS. to Valley St. Turn North on Valley St ( away from town ). McMahan’s will be on your right.
- Encouraging cash donations to the Dayton Rotary’s MATCHING campaign (they will match up to $50,000!!!) Make a donations here: https://www.sagepayments.net/eftcart/forms/donate.asp?M_id=399778383255&fbclid=IwAR2y5oU5-AinMIqe9lwxnR00MvYCi1vu2vuqTU9Un_jpfnBg9mZjheBK_u8
NOTE: I do not know collection hours for all locations!
- Hopeland Church 6025 Miller Ln Dayton 45414
- Warped Wing Brewing
- Heart Mercantile at 38 E 5th St Dayton
- Human Society of Dayton (water and pet supplies) – 1661 Nicholas Rd
- First Baptist Church of Kettering – 3939 Swigart Rd Beavercreek
- Admin Building at 61 Colin Kelly Riverside
- Harrison Township Fire Department 94 and 2400 Turner Rd
- Harrison Township Gov’t Center 5945 N Dixie Drive
- North Dayton School of Discovery 3901 Turner Rd – accepting clean clothing and add’l supplies from 10am-2pm
- Lutheran Church at 511 Hart St 45404 (ring bell at side door)
- Children’s Hospital 1010 Valley St (go inside to donate items)
- University of Dayton – from 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. in C Lot at the Fitz Center vans, to pass along to local relief agencies. THERE IS AN URGENT NEED FOR FORMULA, DIAPERS, SANITARY WIPES, AND HAND SANITIZER. No food or water will be accepted at this donation site
- Pippin Market in Trotwood – 5440 Pippin Rd
- Stillwrights Distillery 5380 Intrastate Dr, Fairborn, OH 45324
- 208 E Main St, Trotwood, OH 45426
- 6676 US Route 35 E West Alexandria, Ohio 45381
SEE FLYERS BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL EVENTS!