Yes, I know it’s very last minute, but artists, do you have art laying around your studio that you wish was on public display? Send me a digital image to OK with management, and then drop it off Sunday or Wednesday with a way to attach it to wires. I’ll hang & light it in the windows of Jefferson Place (corner of 2nd & Jefferson) downtown, just in time for Urban Nights! The details can be found below & printed here (I’ll bring extra copies): http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU2J6AlHg0AlZHg4N3N6OF82N2c2Y3Btc2dj&hl=en ___________________________________
The Living City Project’s
Street Gallery @ Jefferson Place
Guidelines for Artists Thank you for your interest in showing your work at the Street Gallery @ Jefferson Place! This is a community service of the Living City Project and Jefferson Place intended to bring more life to the streets of downtown Dayton and is not a commercial endeavor. Please notify Kate of your intent to submit by e-mailing a digital image and dimensions to [email protected] Below are some items to consider:
- Liability – The Jefferson Place apartment building is providing their storefront for artists wanting a public presence on the streets of Dayton. The storefront will not be open to anyone but the building owners and designated associates. However, the owners cannot 100% guarantee the security of your art, though they will make every attempt. If you are concerned, we encourage you to make a print to display instead of the original. Owners and Management is not responsible for stolen, lost or damaged pieces. Due to the space being unoccupied, there may be showings to prospective tenants in the retail space. Management has the right to give 15 days notice to have the art removed by the artist. If artwork is not removed within the 15 days notice period given, management will not be responsible for keeping or storing the artwork.
- Installation and Tear-Down dates – You will be given two opportunities to install your work – Sunday, May 9 from 2-5PM and Wednesday, May 12 from 4:30-7PM. There are 25 windows ranging from 15″ to 52″ wide (most are 34″) and approximately 5 ft tall. Work will stay up through June 26th or 27th; you may pick it up either day from 2-5PM. Management will allow access to space through the coordinators of this project, but is not responsible for setup, takedown, or any utilities outside the agreement.
- Installation methods – 2-D work should be mounted on a rigid surface and you should provide a way to attach wires to hang it from above (otherwise we’ll provide duct tape). The work will hang from wires attached to dowel rods above. The Living City will provide methods of hanging but you must provide a way to attach wires to your work.
- Content – Since the art will be on view for the general public walking down the street, work must be “family friendly” in nature and not intended to offend. Final discretion will be given to the building owners. Please discuss with Kate (see contact info below) if you are not sure whether your work would be appropriate.
- Self-promotion – Since the Street Gallery will not directly handle the sale of your art, artists are encouraged to creatively self-promote with labels to direct viewers to your website or other means to contact you and purchase your art.
- Lighting – The Living City will provide rope lighting above your work so that it brings life to the streets of Dayton at night. If you would like to provide your own additional lighting and extension cords, let us know. Works will be lit for a few hours after sunset through the month of May.
- Contact Info – The Project Manager is Kate Ervin of the Living City Project. She can be reached at [email protected] or 554-8865.
Please print this document, sign it, and bring it with you to the Installation. I, the undersigned, have read and understand the above guidelines. I will not hold Jefferson Place, Tower Commercial Group LLC, owners, or Living City Project, Inc. liable for any loss or damage to my property. Signed ______________________ Date ____________________ Print Name _______________________________