- This event has passed.
Virtual Grand Opening For The Hub at Dayton Arcade
March 4 @ 5:30 pm
“We could not be more excited for the Hub to become a reality,” said Eric F. Spina, president of the University of Dayton. “This is a ‘triple play’ for the University of Dayton in that it provides excellent learning opportunities for our students; facilitates greater collaboration and connection between our faculty, research staff and students and the greater Dayton entrepreneurial ecosystem; and will help reinvigorate a key part of our city’s downtown and the historic Arcade that was vacant for decades. This truly is a great day for UD and for Dayton.”
“The Hub is visible proof that Dayton’s long heritage of innovation remains vibrant, healthy and growing,” said Scott Koorndyk, president of the Entrepreneurs’ Center. “In one space, we’ve brought together the support, talent and energy that small businesses and entrepreneurs need to be successful. We are thrilled to join our partners at the University of Dayton and PNC Bank in making the Hub a catalyst for the future of our region’s innovation economy.”
“Our goal in supporting the Hub was to foster collaboration, which is the key to success,” said David Melin, PNC regional president for Dayton. “The Hub Powered by PNC Bank will serve as a catalyst that will merge creative ideas from students, entrepreneurs, businesses and the community to create a stronger future for the region.”
The virtual grand opening will include videos with entrepreneurs and UD faculty introducing Hub spaces, such as:
- Innovation Hall, where the Entrepreneurs’ Center offers comprehensive business and commercialization support services, along with its Small Business Development Center; and the University has offices for the L. William Crotty Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, a satellite office of the Greater West Dayton Incubator to drive equitable access and inclusion, as well as others;
- UD’s studios for painting, printmaking, photo and graphic design for students and faculty;
- UD’s The GEM, a non-traditional learning space that connects the University and city with a focus on community-centered approaches to social innovation;
- A representative workspace that showcases the environment that entrepreneurs and small businesses can find at the Hub; and
- A café with a menu that will be intentionally curated by the Greater West Dayton Incubator to feature underrepresented entrepreneurs.
The event also will feature a panel discussion with Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, City Manager Shelley Dickstein, PNC’s Melin, developer Cross Street Partners CEO Bill Struever, University of Dayton’s Spina and the Entrepreneurs’ Center’s Koorndyk. The grand opening will conclude with a blessing and a ribbon-tying ceremony to symbolize the coming together of all the partners and stakeholders that have made the project possible and will be involved in the Hub going forward.