- This event has passed.
Germanfest Picnic LITE
August 14, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 11:00 am, repeating until August 16, 2020
Although the big Germanfest Picnic festival at RiverScape MetroPark has been CANCELLED for 2020 due to COVID-19, you can still get YOUR Gemütlichkeit on at the GermanFest Picnic LITE on August 14, 15 and 16 at the Dayton Liederkranz Turner Clubhouse – 1400 E. Fifth Street in St. Anne’s Hill.
Your favorite GermanFest food items, all boxed to go and our popular German Beers will be available on site and for carry-out. There will even be a Donor’s Biergarten!
(Masks and social distancing will be required.)
Once you have picked up your Germanfest Picnic to go meals, enjoy them at home, while you watch the virtual Germanfest Picnic events live on Facebook, Instagram, You Tube and/or our own GermanfestDayton webpage www.germanfestdayton.com
Vielen herzlichen Dank for your support!
Highlights of the weekend include:
- Authentic German Food– All your favorites – Schnitzel Dinners, Brats, Metts, German Potato Salad, Sauerkraut and desserts available for carry-out. Order ahead, and drive thru to pick up, take home, and enjoy.
- Large selectionof German Beer (including Ayinger draft Oktoberfest) as well as domestic and craft beers. You can even get them to go when you order a meal!
- Donors’ Biergarten – Reserve a socially distanced tablefor up to 6 people for 2 hours, and enjoy your food and bier onsite (VERY limited availability, due to current health restrictions.) EXTREMELY LIMITED walk-ins permitted on a space-available basis. All guests need to wear masks and remain seated at their assigned tables.
- Virtual Polka Mass– 10:00 a.m. Sunday
- Virtual Bavarian Fashion Show– 2:30 p.m. Saturday
- Kranzi Store– Your destination for Picnic swag featuring our favorite mascot – including masks, T-shirts, pins and more. SHOP HERE and pick up when you get your meal.
- Free Parking – across the street at Stivers HS or SOITA
- Challenge Grant – We are undertaking a fundraising effort in conjunction with the GermanFest Picnic Lite. Our goal is to raise $13,000 which would go a long way toward ensuring that we cover our costs and remain viable for a repeat performance next year. A handful of members and supporters have generously pledged $6,500 as a matching challenge grant to reach the $13,000 goal for the GermanFest Picnic Lite. Your donation will be matched up to $6,500 toward our goal. You can donate on-line or you can send a check to the Dayton Liederkranz Turner, 1400 E. Fifth St., Dayton, OH 45402 marked “Match Challenge Grant”. Danke!
- Scholarship – Part of the proceeds from the Germanfest Picnic goes to underwrite scholarships for deserving students who promote the German heritage and culture. Including this year’s awards, the Germanfest Picnic scholarship awards have totaled almost $55,000 since the program’s inception.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2020 Winners!
Xander Schrumf $2,000
Jillian Fry – $250
Colleen Fry – $250
- Genealogy – Representatives from the DLT Genealogy Group will greet you virtually, offer hints for getting started tracing your German ancestors, and share a recent presentation by Erin Pence.
- Volunteer Opportunities – We can’t have even a Germanfest Picnic LITE without Volunteers. Please use this linkto select the days and times you are available to help (don’t forget to check the “Show more spots” button for later times on Saturday!)
ABOUT THE GERMANFEST PICNIC
Founded in 1983, Dayton’s Germanfest Picnic is a 3-day celebration of the Miami Valley’s rich German heritage. Over its 37 year history, it has grown into one of the region’s largest and most favorite festivals. The three-day event is staged by the Dayton Liederkranz -Turner, Dayton’s oldest German organization. The group’s purpose is to promote and preserve German culture and traditions in the Miami Valley. The Dayton Liederkranz Turner (together with its GermanFest Picnic) is a 501-C-3 charitable organization with the festival constituting the major fundraiser for the organization. Net proceeds insure continuance of the organization and this community festival.
Judy Schneider, Publicity Chairperson – 937-672-3498