- This event has passed.
First Friday – ‘Independents’ Day Edition
July 5, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Downtown Dayton’s collection of independently owned restaurants, boutique shops, craft breweries, galleries, and other small businesses take their moment in the spotlight as the July 5 First Friday celebrates the city’s “independents.”
New downtown Dayton business, Now and Zen DIY Studio, which held its grand opening on June’s First Friday, will host an “as seen on Pinterest” DIY project. Stop in and be sure to check out their tutorial on how to make an ombre dream catcher from 5-9 p.m. Don’t forget to take home air plants, terrariums, succulents, plant accessories, and more!
Another new downtown Dayton shop will host its grand opening soon, and guests can get a sneak peek during the July 5 First Friday. Puff Apothecarythecary will host a soft opening from 4-8 p.m., featuring all-natural hair products and styling services. This event is free, but an RSVP is required. Visit their website to learn more.
The #ShopDaytonStrong initiative rolls on through the summer, reminding patrons to shop, eat, dine, and be entertained by the hundreds of workers who count on guests for their livelihoods. Snap a pic and share it with #ShopDaytonStrong to let small business owners know “we’re here for you, too!”
Use The Flyer to get to and from First Friday destinations. To find a map with the route and pick-up locations, visit www.iRideRTA.org/TheFlyer.
Too much fun for one First Friday? Come back Saturday, July 6, and enjoy Independence District Day in the Oregon District. This family-friendly event is free, open to the public, and will feature live music, vendors, food, beer, and street games. Don’t forget to pop into the shops and restaurants lining Fifth Street.
Check out the individual First Friday listings below, and remember the most up-to-date event listings can be found on the online calendar published on the Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website. Subscribing to the weekly e-vents email newsletter also keeps one up to speed. For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org. Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page.
· Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: Dutoit Gallery will be hosting John Dickinson as a featured artist. Stop by and enjoy these new pieces from 6-9 PM. Call (201) 752-4353.
· The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: The Contemporary Dayton is hosting a free exhibit titled Glow: The 28th Annual DP&L Foundation Open Members’ Show from 6-8 PM. This exhibit is for their all-media, all-level Artist Member celebration. Call (937) 224-3822.
· Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: From 5-9 PM come and check out glassmakers to painters, the Front Street Building Co. will be hosting a slew of creative artists! There is plenty of things to see here this First Friday between the artists, artisans, and small businesses. Call (937) 229-3204.
· High Street Gallery, 48 High St.: Join the Dayton Society of Artists for a community talk by Monrovian artist-in-residence, Patrick Gono at 7 PM. They will have a plethora of artists’ work on display about Crossing Boundaries from 6-9 PM. All the work will be depicting different backgrounds, religions, cultures, abilities, and locations that we are all bound to by the same humanity. Call (937) 228-4532.
· Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.:. Skeleton Dust Will be hosting an art opening for local artist, Nelly Rose! Live music will be provided by Carter Griffin for the listening pleasure. Come and experience Nelly’s beautiful work this First Friday from 7-9 PM! Call (937) 221-8528.
· The Barrel House, 417 E Third St.: Join The Barrel House for their July Funky Friday! At 5 PM there will be a poutine food truck serving made-from-scratch poutine! Come for the beer and food and stay for the funk that DJ Cooley will be spinning from 6-10 PM. Call (937) 222-4795.
· Blind Bob’s Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: And Then Came Humans will be performing this First Friday at Blind Bob’s Bar. Stop by to enjoy the Jazz rock/funk band at 8 PM. Call (937) 938-6405.
· The Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish Frist Friday at Dublin Pub! Enjoy music from Dogwood Road, performing in and around the Columbus area for more than two years. Primarily an Irish band, they are expanding their area. Call (937) 224-7822.
· Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: The Musician’s Co-op is going down this First Friday with Alyssa Hanson as the host! Stop by for some great sound and great bites from Hannah’s. The fun kicks off at 9 PM. 18+. Call (937) 640-1335.
· Yellow Cab Tavern 700 E Fourth St.: Get ready for an Independence Day weekend kickoff unlike any other as the Yellow Cab Tavern hosts the first annual parking lot boat show with Bands! Beers! Boats! The evening features a boat cruise-in, live performances from Dayton’s Marijuana Johnson and a reunited and back at it the Washington Beach Bums from Columbus, patio games and refreshing kiddie pools outside, Smokin Barrels, LLC providing great BBQ, and Yellow Springs Brewery’s Boat Show on draft. Be a part of the Boat Cruise-in. There’s no fee, just show up before 6pm and get a premium spot on the lot. Then at 7pm, the “Daytonest Boat” vote begins, with the winner receiving a trophy! Call (937) 424-3870.
· The Black Box Improv Theater LLC, 518 E. Third St.: Presenting MOMologues. Enjoy the very relatable stories and BYOW (bring your bottle of wine) for a night out with your favorite fellow moms at 9 PM. Tickets are $15. Stay after for a free Improv Jam. Get on stage and take a stab at improv at 11 PM. Call (937) 369-0747.
· Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 sec. increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
· Proto BuildBar, 534 E. First St.: Starting at 6 PM, you can enjoy a fun-filled evening of tabletop gaming while enjoying a drink or coffee! There will be 25% off all board game related 3D prints. Call (937) 222-6253.
· RiverScape MetroPark West Pavilion, 237 E. Monument Ave.: From 4-8 PM come and enjoy an opportunity to kayak and paddleboard for $15 an hour! You can explore the Fountain of Lights and also experience the RiverRun whitewater feature! Kayaks, paddles, lifejackets, and helmets are all included in the rental fee. Call (937) 275-7275.
· Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and get blown away by the 10,000 square foot indoor rock-climbing center inside! Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe and harness rental, all for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3 to 11 PM. Call (937) 224-5724.
· Wiley’s Comedy Club, 101 Pine St.: This weekend, head on over to Wiley’s to enjoy The Almost Show! Here, you can watch the finalists in the Wiley’s Fireworks Competition perform their hilarious comedy acts! 18+. Two-item minimum purchase. Show starts at 8 PM. Tickets are on sale now. Call (937) 224-5653.
Food and Drink
· Basil’s On Market – Dayton, OH, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 PM. Pop in to enjoy a $5 bar menu that includes bruschetta, Fries, Wings, Artichoke Dip, and Tacos. They will also have $5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
· Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: Enjoy wine tasting specials for $2 and $3. Take advantage of the wines at the tasting room and bottle shop located at the Inn Port D’Vino Bed and Breakfast in the Oregon District. Also, be sure to check out their cute hearing-impaired pup that the store is named after! Doors Close at 8 PM. Call (937) 225-9463
· Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Stop in to wind down after work or get your night started. Enjoy $1 off beers, wine, and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
· Oregon Express Bar and Restaurant, 336 E. Fifth St.: Happy Hour 4-7 PM. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Live music starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
· Salar Restaurant and Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5 to 7 PM at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft beer, and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
· Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Half price happy hour including appetizers and drinks specials from 4-7 PM. Wolf Moon Revival will be performing at 9:30 PM Call (937) 461-1101.
· Tumbleweed Connection, 454 E. Fifth St.: Calling all wine lovers! From 4-8 PM come and enjoy some delicious wine tasting on Tumbleweed Connection’s patio and some live music. Call (937) 228-5500.
· Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St.: JVan will be featuring his paintings along with his wearable art that will be on display and for sale at Clash. There will also be a fun Live Photo shoot at the shop with Cincinnati fashion photographer, Brian Mikulski. Call (937) 259-8986.
· Grace Lane Boutique, 133 E. Fourth St.: Grace Lane Boutique will have a Sip ’n’ Shop with 25% off SALE store wide in celebration of Independence Day. Call (937) 903-2729.
· Now and Zen DIY Studio, 37 S. St. Claire St.: This First Friday, Now and Zen are hosting a Sip and Create: As seen on Pinterest event! Stop by between 5-9 PM and create a beautiful modern ombre Dreamcatcher. Feel free as well to create a terrarium at their terrarium bar as well! Call (937) 287-1733.
· Puff Apothecary, 605 E. Fifth St.: Puff Apothecary will be having an invite-only soft opening this First Friday! They specialize in natural based products to define curls and provide braiding and loc services. All of their apothecary items will include more plant based oils, ayurvedic plant powders, and shea butter. This event is free, but an RSVP is required. For an invite to the soft open event, sign up at www.puffapothecary.com/studio. Call (513) 549-1087.