- This event has passed.
Call for Entry: Riverscape MetroPark Storm Sewer Riser
March 15 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 pmFree
This is a request for proposals for a painted (or other pre-approved media) design to cover a storm sewer riser located at RiverScape MetroPark. The riser is a concrete cylindrical form with a flat top, 55 inches in circumference and 55” high. The top of the form includes a large rusted steel manhole cover. The form sits on at the newly designed River Run Plaza, on a platform area of light tan concrete and with the “back” portion integrated into a series of 4 levels of stone benching, all designed to serve as a casual gathering space and viewing area for River Run. The selection committee is seeking a design that connects to the elements on and around the riser, including the water, waves, stonework, colors and patterns in the landscape and the large mural across the river.
Eligibility for the project is as follows:
- Any amateur or professional artist or designer age 18 and older is eligible to apply. Artists under the age of 18 may apply if they are part of a team with at least one member that is 18 or older.
- Applications must have primary residence within a 40-mile radius of downtown Dayton.
- Submissions can be made by individuals, groups, classes or teams.
- Submission may be for design and production or design only. If design only, artist will work with contracted artist to complete project.
- Final design will be selected by a committee made up of Five Rivers MetroParks staff and arts professionals.
- In the case of a tie, semi-finalists may be selected to submit a final design. In this case, semi-finalists will be offered a modest stipend for final design.
- If selected, sign an agreement with project organizers.
- If selected, complete the mural by June 30, 2021.
- A plaque with artist name(s) will be place at the mural site.
- Design Award $2,500
Complete proposals must be submitted via email with attachments by project deadline, Monday, March 15, 2021, midnight to Cydnie King, Curatorial Assistant, [email protected]
- Subject line: ArtSource Proposal: MetroPark
- Attachment 1 – Word Doc with the following:
- Artist’s contact information: name, mailing address, phone, email, website (optional)
- Description of design; include media and explanation of imagery
- Attachment 2 – Résumé or Word Doc with brief biography of the artist/team’s experience
- Attachment 3 – up to 10 jpegs:
- Proposed site designs, including full design and/or detail
- Design rendered to scale applied to the intended surface. A rudimentary image of the design drawn or digitally placed atop the riser is permissible. The design should must take up at least 75% of the vertical and horizontal concrete surface of the riser.
- If submitting to produce design (paint or other media): sample images of similar work the artist has produced (murals, etc.)