You hear great updates from Jonathan at The Neon and Jeff at Rave here on Dayton Most Metro regarding the films coming to town – but what about the film projects FROM town? What about the creative and talented filmmakers who are here in our community making a difference and doing great work? I’m happy to catch you up on just some of the work of FilmDayton and our film scene today. To stay in the loop on all the projects, follow FilmDayton on Facebook for join the email list.
FilmDayton is dedicated growing our own film community with classes, workshops, networking opportunities, screenings and the annual festival. Plus, FilmDayton works to support projects that come to the region – like the upcoming feature We’re Doing Fine shooting in Dayton this fall.
Here’s a quick update on how you can learn more and get involved in our film community!
1) The 2013 Eichelberger FilmDayton Festival will be a major leap forward for our region’s festival – coming up August 23-25! We are truly an international film festival with shorts from multiple continents already submitted. Save the date, because you won’t want to miss:
- Juried shorts in the genres of narrative, documentary, horror, Ohio-based, and animation/experimental. Encourage the filmmakers you know to submit!
- The Festival is known for our great shorts, features, workshops and fun. Last year, we launched the FilmDayton Awards. The team is now accepting submissions for nominees in our community who have great achievements in career film work, demonstrated support for the film community, and emerging artists demonstrating innovation and skills.
- FilmDayton has partnered with Sundog Film Festival – a showcase films from talented high school media arts students across the state. Teachers and students can submit now to be a part of this networking/education event for young filmmakers.
2) Education is at the core of what we do. And this spring, the schedule continues. FilmDayton’s popular Film Connections welcome filmmakers and film lovers to network, learn and share updates on great projects. Often hosted at ThinkTV, this spring we’ll be taking a couple field trips to DATV and Boonshoft Museum of Discovery. Only $5 to attend a FREE for members.
3) And for those aspiring filmmakers who wonder how to get into the game and what it’s all about, FilmDayton is excited to bring back our popular 48-hour Filmmaker Boot Camp. This is an intensive weekend introduction to film making including writing, shooting, directing, editing and more. Participants walk in green and walk out having complete their own short film.
4) Freak Club – In 2012, FilmDayton tackled a wildly ambitious project – to create our own Web series. Started as an out-growth of Film Connections, this project challenged us to put our money, time and efforts where our mouth was. We advocate for the Dayton region as a great film community – saying that we’ve got the talented cast/crew and varied locations needed for film projects. The Web series set out to prove it! After hearing story pitches, re-writing scripts, location scouting, casting, lots of pre-production, three full weeks of shooting, and months and months of editing – we’re in the final stages. FilmDayton is welcoming local musicians to put the final touch on the Web series – titled Freak Club – by submitting two minutes of an original composition to be used as the closing credits. Get involved today!
So – that’s just some of the big stuff happening with FilmDayton this spring/summer. We hope you’ll be a part of it! Stay tuned to the DMM events calendar to see great auditions, events, workshops and more happening.