Fleurs et Vin is an afternoon party in the park, celebrating wine and fabulous food served up by the area’s best independent restaurants. A Dayton tradition for over 20 years, Vail Miller Sr of Heidelberg Distributing and Mike Frank of Arrow Wine started this event to bring wine out of the wine cellars and to make it fun and accessible to all. Now one of the most anticipated and talked about wine events, the festival will serve over 340 wines this year. For those who prefer beer, spend time in the Belgian Beer Garden, enjoying beers from Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe as well as a namesake beer from Goose Island- Fleur! The party begins promptly at 1pm and serving will cease at 4pm. Of course all guests must be 21 or over and yes, they do check ID’s!
Chef Paul’s Catering
Fifth St. Wine & Deli
Jerardi’s Little Store
Smokin’ Bar -B-Que
The Wine Loft
The $60 admission ticket includes all beer, wine and food tastings as well as a souvenir wine glass and 2 souvenir beer glasses J.t. Fedrick and the Sax Groove will be playing throughout the afternoon and guests will want to spend time perusing the silent auction. Highlights include a week’s stay at a cabin on Lake Norris, theater & sports tickets, spa packages, executive car detailing, wine racks, spa services and restaurant gift certificates. The auction will close at 3pm.
Guests are encouraged to stick around for the 4pm live auction, which is truly a wine lovers delight! Rare bottles, verticals and Chef’s dinners will be included. Proceeds from the day’s events benefit AIDS Resource Center Ohio and Culture Works.
Here are wine expert Mark Fisher‘s Fleurs survival tips:
1. Arrive early. The opening line is long, but event organizers cannot start serving before 1 p.m. because of Ohio laws.
2. Go slow on the wine consumption — this is a marathon, not a sprint — and if you don’t like a wine, or just want a small sip, use the dump buckets to pour out the wine in your glass and move on. Dumping is not considered rude.
3. When you’re poured a sample of wine — and there’s a line of folks with empty glasses behind you — for crying out loud, step out of the way!
4. Even if you don’t intend to buy, stay the final hour for the live auction. It can feature some rather entertaining bidding wars. And you can use the rest.
5. Leave the stilettos for another occasion when you’re not tromping around in wet grass. And while we’re giving fashion advice, don’t wear white. Doesn’t go well with red wines.
— And the most important survival tip: water is your friend. Bottled water will be available at no extra charge. Drink lots of it.
We have a pair of tickets to give away to our readers – simply fill out the form below by Friday 5/20 at midnight and we’ll draw a random winner on Saturday. Cheers![contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]