I’d like to preface by saying I am not a “recipe” person. Food porn catches my eye on social media, then I get sidetracked by cute puppy videos instead of saving the recipe, then I try my best to remember what I saw days later. (I hope I never witness a crime because my recall is abysmal.) I hit the nail on the head approximately 10% of the time, leaving 90% of my cooking to pure luck and a dash of Kayla magic. I never make the same meal twice. Read: if you’re hoping to recreate any of the following recipes, I honestly can not help you but I wish you the very best.
The second thing you should know about these grilling experiments is they’re the byproduct of a self-imposed dating freeze. Six months ago, I noticed my pattern of hopping into a new relationship before truly making peace with the previous one. Oops. I decided I would not get involved with anyone until I spent some much-needed time alone and learned to love it. Free from the distraction of brown eyes and salt-and-pepper beards (my favorite feast!), I was left with (a serious hunger, let’s be honest) and extra time to develop a new hobby.
I love cooking. And eating. And being outside. I spend more time in my backyard than anywhere else at home, so it made sense to pick up grilling. (Growing my own vegetables may sound like the better choice to some but I can hardly keep up with mowing the lawn so that idea really stresses me out.) It had also occurred to me that in 33 years, I’d never used a grill– because I’ve always had someone else to do it for me. Another oops. And so, I bought my very first grill and my tasty hobby was born…
As I spent time over the flames, I noticed that many of my dinners were reminiscent of, well… old flames. Have you ever “eaten” any of these?
Ship to Shore. I wanted my maiden grilling voyage to be simple. Hearty. Rustic. The kind of meal you don’t really have to dress up because it just is what it is. I have profound appreciation for him. I mean, “steak and asparagus”.
Big Balls. I recall not having a particular plan in mind for this one. Wanted to see what would happen. I learned that no matter how appetizing the balls, it doesn’t necessarily equate to good eating.
Morning Sex and Pancakes. We all deserve it. But how many are willing to stick around ‘til morning when the nights get dark and scary? I used a lower-carb batter. It’s not for everyone, and that’s ok.
Plump and Steamy Ginger. Man, did this one change me at my core. Forever one of my favorites, grilled wings were the perfect mix of hot, messy fun. But there’s danger in not knowing when it’s still a little raw inside.
Seems Healthy. It’s not.
The Creative Type. Just when I thought I had it all planned out and it was going to be a lot of fun, the pepper ring barrier broke and egg whites spilled out everywhere. It was a mess. But boy, did it spark my imagination.
The Down for Whatever. I love these types. I grilled naan and it topped it with whatever I had in the fridge at the time. It’s the type that may seem pretentious but it’s truly not. It’s the type that can fit in anywhere. This one probably would have worked out if I had recognized how good it was at the time.
Sweet. With an Edge.
Imagine putting a chili/ lime/ garlic/ cilantro/ honey mixture on watermelon. It was good. But sometimes we try to make things into something they are not.
Six months, 12 days, and a 15-gallon tank of propane later, I can honestly say I made my peace with each of these “meals”. Some seemed great in theory but were disappointing. Some were more work than they were worth. Some were delicious but I knew they weren’t healthy for me. But each one was a valuable learning experience and nourished me with exactly what I needed at the time.
I wouldn’t want to change a thing. I just want to keep grilling. -kb