Cyclists looking for an atypical riding experience will find one this summer as Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park has announced their 2010 bicycle tour dates.
The “Bike With A Ranger” program, sponsored by the National Park Service, is an exciting, yet casual, way to explore Dayton’s historic sites. Park guide, and experienced cyclist Mark Dues will lead the tours – interpreting the region’s rich heritage of creativity and innovation along the way.
Two bicycle programs will be offered:
“The Gem City: Cradle of Creativity”
Learn how Dayton became a hotbed of inventiveness, innovation, and creativity. This bicycle ride on flat terrain along quiet urban streets and bike trails visits the Wrights’ bicycle shop; the home of internationally-renowned poet, Paul Laurence Dunbar; the invention and transportation exhibits at Carillon Historical Park; and various historic sites in Downtown Dayton. The tour ends where it started–in Wright-Dunbar Village. The Wright Cycle Company Complex is located at the intersection of West Third and South Williams Streets, 22 South Williams Street, Dayton OH 45402, just west of downtown. June 6, July 11, August 8, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
“Huffman Prairie and Historic Patterson Field (Wright-Patterson AFB, Areas A & C)”
Discover how one of the largest aviation complexes in the world, Wright-Patterson AFB, began as a humble 84-acre cow pasture just a few miles northeast of Dayton. This moderately difficult bicycle ride down mostly bicycle trails and less-traveled roads will take the trail leading to Huffman Prairie Flying Field and historic old Patterson Field (present day Wright-Patterson AFB, Areas A & C). Due to Air Force security requirements, all participants must register at least seven days prior to the tour. No exceptions! The tour will end where we started–at Wright Memorial Hill. Wright Memorial Hill is located close to the intersection of State Route 444 and Kauffman Road, just 1.5 miles east of the National Museum of the United States Air Force. At Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center, 2380 Memorial Rd., Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433. June 20, July 25, and August 22, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
– All participants should be present no later than the times mentioned above for sign-in and orientation.
– Bicyclists should be in good physical condition and feel comfortable gearing up and down hills.
– Inclement weather may cause tour cancellation. Huffman Prairie Flying Field may close without prior notice since it is located on an active military installation.
– Participants are required to bring their own bicycles and personal gear, including snacks and/or lunch. Proper wear of helmets is required.
– Bicycles should be in good operating condition and are subject to safety inspections.
For additional information, or to register for these free tours, contact Mark Dues at 937-425-0008.