William Judkins Conklin, A. M., M. D., was born in Sidney, Ohio on December 1, 1844. He entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1866. He began the study of medicine with his father, Dr. H. S. Conklin, one of the most prominent physicians of the Miami Valley and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in the spring of 1868.
In 1869, the Detroit Medical College placed upon him the ad eundem degree, a courtesy degree awarded by one university or college to an alumnus of another. In May, he was appointed assistant physician of the Dayton Asylum for the Insane, a position he held until December 1871 when he resigned to accept a partnership with Dr. J. C. Reeve. In 1876, he was appointed by Governor R. B. Hayes a member of the Board of Trustees of the Dayton Asylum for the Insane. From 1875 to 1886, he was a member of the faculty of Starling Medical College in Columbus, Ohio, first as professor of physiology and afterward as professor of the diseases of children. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Ohio State Medical Society, the State Sanitary Association, and the Montgomery County Medical Society. He was also a member of the surgical staff of St. Elizabeth Hospital and was also in association with Miami Valley Hospital.
Dr. Conklin was a frequent contributor to both medical and literary journals. In Dayton, he served as Director of the Merchants National Bank. In 1875, Dr. Conklin married Catherine Beckel, daughter of Daniel Beckel. Their son, Dr. Daniel Beckel Conklin, was associated with him in his medical practice.
William Judkins Conklin died on October 31, 1916. He is located in Section 52 Lot 1167.