The intersection of board games and beverages is not a new phenomenon. For those that have been enjoying coffee shops since the late 90’s, there has always been a few well-loved board games on the shelves of our favorite place to grab a cappuccino to start the day. It was not until 2010 that two enterprising Canadians opened Snakes and Lattes, the first café to offer games as a reason to get some coffee with friends, not just as an added benefit. In the seven years they have been open, they have witnessed an explosion of venues that offers drinks and light snacks while gamers enjoy some beverages and explore new games. While many started with coffee drinks, there has been an evolution into craft beer and craft cocktails. Coming soon, a new venue in the Dayton area will offer a space to explore gaming with good friends. Cardboard Crowns will be opening up this fall at 147 N. Springboro Pike, and they want you to be part of the fun with a Kickstarter Launch Party this Saturday, September 16 from 12 PM to 5 PM at Warped Wing Brewery!
Head to the brewery to learn about the Kickstarter, play new games and enjoy great craft beer. At this event, you have the opportunity to meet the owner and manager of Cardboard Crowns and hear about everything they have planned for the cafe. They will be introducing the support levels for their Kickstarter at the event, but you can prepare with this handy list:
- $5 – Show your support for Cardboard Crowns and get your name inlaid in a wooden hex in the cafe’s bar top.
- $15 – Donate a seat for one of our guests with your name on it! (Plus Bar Hex)
- $25 – Help us grow the cafe’s library by backing a new game for the cafe’s collection, adding your name to the game’s inside box lid for all to see! (Plus Bar Hex)
- $50 – Donate a section of shelving that will bear your name for all to see! (Plus Bar Hex)
$75 – You helped us purchase a table for the cafe that will forever bear your name! (Plus Bar Hex)
- $100 – Two tickets to the cafe’s grand opening party, a private event open only to Kickstarter supporters! Each ticket includes drinks, food, your name in one of the cafe’s games, and a bar hex.
- $300 – You’re donating the coolest seating option the cafe has to offer. Our 6-seater booths will make you feel like you’re a VIP for the night. As part of this reward, you’ll get to pick the board game that will be framed and used to theme one of our booths; your name will go on a plaque in the booth, you’ll get two tickets to the grand opening party and a hex on the bar top.
- $350 – The ultimate party experience. You and seven friends get the cafe’s party booth for the night! The package includes two drinks per person, two food items per person and a dedicated board game teacher to help make sure your group has a night they won’t forget!
- $1000 – The cafe will only have one 8-seater party booth, and you’re going to help us theme it and put your name on it! As part of this reward, you’ll get to pick the board game that will be framed and used to theme the cafe’s party booth; your name will go on a plaque in the party booth, you’ll get two tickets to the grand opening party and a monster sized hex on the bar top.
- $2000 – The back of the cafe will feature a relaxed social corner for folks to sit down in and play social/party games. Back at this level and you’ll get your name on a plaque letting folks know who made the area possible. Additionally, you’ll get two tickets to the grand opening party and a mammoth sized hex on the bar top.
All of this support is going into a gaming café that has been planned out and well researched by Ben Adams, the owner of the venue. Ben has visited many other of these cafes across the country and has worked hard to address the most common issues he found in each location. To cut down on the noise of many games going on at once, soundproofing materials will be used on the walls and in booth separators to quiet down the space. Access to the cafe and its collection of over 700 games will be just a $5 library fee per person, and if you are looking to play in a private booth, an extra ten dollars for the party can provide that privacy. As mentioned above, there will also be a larger space for party games and party booth for private events.
They have developed a rating system for each one of the games, so those that are just getting into the hobby have an idea of the involvement of the game. Green labels are less involved games, where a quick explanation of the rules by one of the cafe’s game masters should be enough to get a group started. Yellow labels are more complex, and there will be staff on hand to help answer questions as you play. Red labels will be very intricate, heavy strategy games which may require more explanation than the team can provide. And with over 700 games in the collection, not every staff member will know all the games. Booths and tables will have tablets available that will provide videos to explain the rules of almost any game in the cafe’s collection.
This Saturday, September 16th from 12 to 5 PM, is the big launch party! You will have the opportunity to support this new venture while playing some games with the owner and enjoying craft beers by Warped Wing. There are even some hints about game giveaways that day. Ben and the Cardboard Crowns team look forward to seeing all of you this weekend!