The Chicago Bean. The New York LOVE sign. Giant lawn birdies in Kansas City. UpDayton and the K12 Gallery for Young People & TEJAS invite artists to submit proposals for a new Dayton icon. This is a 2016 UpDayton Summit winning project. We are seeking creative thinkers to submit designs for an Instagram-worthy public sculpture that will attract locals and visitors alike. UpDayton and K12 will work with the selected artist(s) to assemble a team to construct the winning design(s).
- Eligibility: Open to both amateur and professional artists who reside in or have strong ties to the Greater Dayton region. Artwork may be created by a solo artist or in collaboration with a team.
- Design Requirements:
- The final structure will be a sculpture spelling out “DAYTON.” Artists should submit original designs for individual letters. Artists may submit up to six designs for consideration.
- Designs should embrace Dayton’s culture and innovative spirit.
- The completed structure should be self-supporting and free-standing. The structure should not be taller than 10 feet and should be able to be rescaled depending on the structure’s final location. It should be able to withstand extreme weather.
- Artists’ designs should aim for a budget of $1,000 per letter.
- Designs should be submitted in PDF format and may contain original sketches, original images, and other graphics.
- Artists should also submit a one-paragraph description of the design that includes suggested materials, special requirements (electricity, etc.), and the location envisioned for the final piece.
SELECTION PROCESS: All entries will be judged by a community panel, selected by the New Dayton Icon project team. Entries will be evaluated on creativity, design feasibility, sustainability, and ease of execution. The winning designs will be unveiled at a community reception. Artists/teams will receive a $100 prize for each winning design.
- Submission deadline: September 14, 2016 at 6pm
- Design Unveiling & Community Reception: TBA (likely mid-October)
- Art Installation: Spring/Summer 2017
RULES: All submitted designs must be the original work of the entrant and must not include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images. The selection panel reserves the right to ask for revisions on submitted designs or to not select a winner if no suitable entries are received. An entrant may be asked to translate his/her design to a different letter.
UpDayton is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization powered by volunteers. We are not membership-based; rather, the organization relies on income from valuable mission-driven programs and the generous support of organizations, businesses and individuals who share our vision for a thriving Dayton region. The Dayton Icon project was one of three projects selected for implementation at the 2016 UpDayton Summit.