Before the fireworks light up the sky, head to downtown Dayton where locally owned businesses are celebrating their own “independents” day for First Friday, 5 to 10 pm Friday, July 1. Check out the sales at local retailers, enjoy the food specials at independent restaurants, and take in a few performing arts – time is running out to see Disney’s The Lion King at the Schuster Center! The show rolls out of Dayton on Sunday, July 3.
For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org or use the location-based mobile site, mobile.downtowndayton.org.
Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page or the event page. Courteous Mass has moved their bike ride to Friday, July 8th this month.
• Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St., #100: Enjoy an art exhibition by Harry Vignocchi from 6-9 p.m. Call 952-0246.
• Front Street Galleries, 1001 E 2nd St.: Get a copy of Donnie Hutchinson’s new book titled, “Lead with Balance”. This softcover book teaches readers “how to master work life balance in an imbalanced culture.” Get a copy signed from 5-7 p.m. Call 266-3491.
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Featuring happy hour from 4 to 8 m., $2.50 well drinks. Music by Kelly Zullo, Paige Beller, Achilles Tenderloin on the patio from 6-8 pm and after, enjoy live music by Temper, Temper Temperature and Hell Yes, Goddammit on the indoor stage. Call 938-6405.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: Featuring Irish First Fridays, with a happy hour, live music by Jameson Folly starting at 8 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• Gilly’s, 132 S. Jefferson St.: Old Skool Groove Night from 8 p.m. to midnight. Enjoy the throwback hosted by DJ Galen Drake. Admission $5 at the door. Call 228-8414.
• Therapy Café, 452 E. Third St.: Featuring First Friday with 3DMentional. Admission $5. 9 pm to 3 am. Call 461-4000. Call 461-4000.
•The Trolley Stop, 530 E 5th St.: Enjoy live music from Hey There Morgan. Music starts at 9:00 pm.
• The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Come see the cast of Womit 2.0 put on #hashtag. They’ll interview an audience member as well as visit their social media pages in an effort to drum up some inspiration for improvised scenes. BYOB. Call for ticket prices and availability. The show starts at 8 pm. Call 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Dayton Chess Club hosts a Quick tournament for US Chess Federation members. Games are perfect for club chess players and those experienced with online chess games who would like to test their skill over the board. The club opens at 6:30 p.m. and registration ends at 7:25 pm. The first of four games begins at 7:30. Visit daytonchessclub.com for more details. Call 461-6283.
• Fifth Third Field, 220 N Patterson Blvd.: Watch the Dayton Dragons play the West Michigan Whitecaps. Games starts at 7:00 pm. For tickets and more information, visit http://www.daytondragons.com or call 228-2287.
• MJ’s on Jefferson, 20 N. Jefferson St.: Join hostess Hellin Bedd with her Male Revue featuring male dancers and special guests. Show starts at 11 p.m. Kitchen hours 5:30 pm- 2 am with daily and weekly specials! Cover is $5 for 21+, and $7 for 18-20 with proper I.D. Call 223-3259.
• Nucleus CoShare, 411 W. Fifth St.: First Friday means it’s time for another Free Workday! From 8am to 5 pm, visitors can experience what a co-shared office environment is like, and get a preview of the benefits a membership to Nucleus CoShare provides. Call 259-4686.
• Schuster Performing Arts Center, 1 W 2nd St.: Experience the phenomenon of DISNEY’S THE LION KING! Join Victoria Theatre Association before Friday performances and enter-to-win DISNEY’S THE LION KING merchandise that you won’t be able to get anywhere else in Wintergarden between 7 and 7:30 pm for #FreeStuffFridays. After the show, take your ticket stub to UNO’s Pizzeria and Grill and get a free mini-dessert with drink purchase. Show starts at 8 pm. For tickets and prices visit http://schusterperformingarts.center-tickets.net/. Call 228-7591.
• Wiley’s Comedy Joint, 101 Pine St.: Participate in the Wiley’s Annual Fireworks Comedy Contest for a shot at $1,000 or simply watch and enjoy the comedians. $25 to enter the contest, $10 to watch and two-item minimum. Shows start at 7:15 & 9:30 p.m. Visit wileyscomedy.com for more information or call 224.5658.
Food and Drink
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: Enjoy $2 tastings of select wines. Call 225-9463.
• De’Lish Café, 139 N. Main St.: Friday Nights Unplugged features live music plus $5 food and drinks specials and $4 wines. Call 461-2233.
• Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Enjoy happy hour from 4-6 pm, $1 off all draft beer and wine and $1 off sharing plates. Call 443-0919
• Lily’s Bistro, 329 E. Fifth St.: Celebrate the restaurant’s three-year birthday on First Friday July 1. Enjoy “flash back Friday” cocktails from the very first menu, as well as dinner specials. Weather permitting, Lily’s will offer homemade, fresh, and unique lemonades available for purchase at the stand in front of the restaurant. Call 723-7637.
• Epic Life Fitness: 118 N. Jefferson St.: Patrons can stop by between 4-8 p.m.to schedule a free assessment and receive 20% off their first package with the purchase of four sessions or more. Call 371-8258.
• Link Dayton Bike Share (22 stations located throughout downtown): Make it a date! Link Bike Share will celebrate “independents day” with a buy-one-get-one-free offer on 24-hour membership purchase. Buy one 24-hour pass at any Link kiosk, and the promotion code for the free pass will be sent to via text message. Call 496-3825.
• Sew Dayton, 261 Wayne Ave.: First Fridays feature the free Stitch n’ Sip event. Bring your own beverage and sewing project and make new sewing friends! No need to register. Suggested crafts include: crochet, knitting, hand embroidery, cross stitch or paper craft. Open sew is from 5-8 pm. Call 234-7398.