- This event has passed.
October 12, 2018
Here are the people who will appear on this year’s TEDxDayton stage:
- Amateur photographer Adam Alonzo will talk about how to see and appreciate the beauty all around us.
- Performer Montrea Blackshear will lead Dayton’s own TRSS Drum Corps in a show-stopping blizzard of percussion.
- Tiffany Clark, a painter and mural artist, will talk about how creating public art helped her beat drug addiction.
- Educator Kevin “Mister C” Cornell will show how to get kids excited about learning science.
- Radio personality Faith Daniels will talk about the dangers of depression within the broadcast industry.
- Attorney Barbara Duncombe will talk about her career journey from typist to rainmaker, fighting gender bias along the way.
- Mark Fogel, a former Air Force pilot, will talk about how trust is built between a jet-fighter pilot and his wingman.
- Student and [email protected] performer Shawn Gardner will perform one of his own original spoken-word compositions.
- Student and [email protected] performer Yash Gupta will perform his special brand of beatbox.
- Physician Andre Harris will talk about how hormones can affect our health, happiness – and sex life.
- Elizabeth Horner will talk about the journey a family takes when a child tells their parents they’re transgender.
- Survivor John-Michael Lander will talk about the hidden world of sexual abuse of elite male athletes.
- Organizer Rose Lounsbury will talk about how to strip away all the clutter that surrounds you and live a minimalist lifestyle.
- Journalist Ray Marcano will talk about the two things that are the greatest threats to American democracy.
- Engineer Dennis Ong will unlock the mysterious workings of the next great change in cybersecurity – blockchain.
- Tony Award-winning actor Alice Ripley will talk about how she transforms into a character, and how to apply those skills to your own life.
- Michael Roush will talk about all the things he’s learned about life, family and love from his autistic daughter.
- Programmer Adam Sobol will talk about how technology can help people with dementia continue to lead fulfilling lives.
- Veterinarian Julie Servaites will talk about what doctors who treat animals can teach us about how to have a good death.
- Flight enthusiast Andrew Shepherd will talk about how to get Americans excited again about the wonders of flight.
- Teacher Stephanie VanHouten will talk about better, more creative ways to educate kindergartners and help make them valuable future citizens.