The Icons of UD Basketball Call will commission six artists to create original artwork of six iconic figures known within the UD Basketball organization.
The panel will choose six finalists based on their submissions. Posters and high-end prints will be printed from selected original artwork. Posters and prints will be available for purchase during the 2018-19 Basketball Season. Proceeds from sales support the UD Champions and Scholars Fund, a fund that provides and enhances opportunities for more than 400 University of Dayton student-athletes on 17 athletic teams. This project provides original artwork to the large and passionate UD basketball fan base while supporting artists and introducing their work to a new collectors’ market. The artwork depicts the breadth of the community’s interests in subjects from the UD bandleader, to game announcers and basketball players.
The Six Icons of UD Basketball- Phase 1
“The Legend” Arlen Bucky Bockhorn
Dr. Willie Morris
This call is open to emerging and established artists who are 18 years or older and live in the USA.
Selected artists will receive $1000 each after final approval of the commissioned artwork.
Deadline for submission: Sunday, July 15 (midnight)
Panel reviews submissions: July 16 – 29
Notification to Six Finalist Artists: Monday, July 30
Deadline for Final Commissioned Artworks: Monday, August 27
Erin Holscher Almazan, Julie Banks, Bridgette Bogle, Colleen Kelsey, Todd Imwalle, Jennifer Napier, Danielle Rante, Tom Vogel
HOW TO APPLY
Submit through DSA’s Submittable page at: https://daytonsocietyofartists.submittable.com/submit
- Format proposal/ submission as a PDF or DOC, or DOCX. Files should not exceed 10MB.
- Label file with full name. Example: JaneSmith.PDF or JaneSmith.DOC or JaneSmith.DOCX
- Include contact information: Name, Address, Phone Number, and Email.
- If available please include Artist Website, Artist Instagram Page, Artist Facebook Page
- Insert into the document 5 – 10 Images or your artwork.
- Only one submission per artist is accepted.
Questions: Please call or email the Dayton Society of Artists at 937-228-4532 [email protected]
COMMISSION CONSIDERATIONS & GUIDELINES
· The finalist, six selected artists, will work collaboratively with the Dayton Society of Artists to ensure all commissioned artwork meets the necessary requirements. Selected artists will be commissioned to create an original art piece based on one of the six Iconic Basketball Figures. Final commissioned works must meet the necessary format for printing with a minimum size of 9 x 12 inches.
· Commissioned artwork must display originality and show an artist’s unique creative vision. Artwork must go beyond the sourced material.
· The deadline for finished commissioned artwork is Monday, August 27.
· Commissioned Original Artwork Media: Artwork may be created on a computer or created on paper, canvas or any other scannable/ photographed 2D medium.
· Minor alterations to winning artwork may occur at the University of Dayton’s discretion to accommodate printing methodology.
· All submitted artwork may be used promotionally for the Call for Art.
· Finalists will relinquish all rights to commissioned artwork to the University of Dayton. ***
· Original commissioned artwork will remain the property of the University of Dayton. ***
About the University of Dayton
The University of Dayton is a top-tier Catholic research university with offerings from the undergraduate to the doctoral levels. We are a diverse community committed, in the Marianist tradition, to educating the whole person and to linking learning and scholarship with leadership and service. https://udayton.edu/
About the Dayton Society of Artists
The mission of the Dayton Society of Artists is to connect, support, and educate artists and the community with access to art education, exhibition opportunities, and professional development, and to enrich the people of Miami Valley through high-quality exhibitions and programming. We are located in the historic neighborhood of Saint Anne’s Hill at 48 High Street in Dayton, OH. More information can be found at www.daytondsa.org or contact us at 937-228-4532, [email protected]
More about the UD Champion and Scholars Fund
The Champions & Scholars Fund was created to engage and embrace the Flyer Faithful from across the country. We partner together to sustain a proud tradition — providing and enhancing opportunities for more than 400 University of Dayton student-athletes on 17 teams.