Friends of ours over at Lion + Panda had an intern that gave them a list of his favorite Hispanic food spots in Dayton. They sent it to us and we thought it was a pretty good list so we’re sharing it with you! Enjoy!
1. Arepas & Co. Colombian Comfort Food– This made it to the top of my list because it’s so much goodness for such a low price. It has is set up like a Chipotle point and serve assembly line and the variety of plate or arepas one can get leaves the palate craving for more. If you are not familiar with Colombian cuisine, it isn’t about hot pepper infused sauces like you would find in Mexican cuisine, it is more savory, a lot of corn, rice, beans and meat are used.
1122 E Dorothy Ln, Dayton, Ohio
2. Taqueria Mixteca– This place will forever hold my heart for the Chimichangas (say that 5 times fast). Who doesn’t want a meat stuffed burrito deepfried and dunked into freshly melted Mexican queso? Wash that down with some delicious horchata beverage and you have yourself a fine day.
1609 E. 3rd Street, Dayton, Ohio
3. Antojitos Criollos– I am Puerto Rican, and as such I give myself authority to tell you where all the authentic Puerto Rican locations are. This place is it. I eat the Mofongo here like I would back in my island. In case you don’t know, Mofongo is a delicious green plantain creation, twice fried, mashed with spices and bacon bits into its ultimate form, paired with your choice of properly cooked and seasoned meats. Need I say more?
3937 Linden Ave, Dayton, OH
4. Taqueria las Tapatias– Would you like to know what a soft taco is supposed to be like? Go eat their specialty tacos and get back to me.
5524 Airway Rd, Dayton, OH
5. La Colombiana– Would you like to eat a plate full of delight and regret all at once? I know I do, and often. If you are like me, feel free to order the Bandeja Paisa, which includes a hunk of meat, sausage, rice, beans, fried plantains of the sweet variety, an arepa, a hardy amount of avocado and what can only be described as bacon’s superior Colombian cousin.
2495 Commons Blvd, Beavercreek, OH
JuanManuel Muñoz Jimenez is a travel and food blogger based here in Dayton as well as an MBA marketing student at Wright State University. After completing his degree he plans on more extensive travel around the world and a career in digital marketing. If you wish to follow his antics regularly you can reach him on twitter @tainonomad or follow his blog tainonomad.com