Music is essential on a road trip….and road trips are hot again. Cheaper Gas, GPS and loads of fun within 3 hours of Dayton, make for a getaway for you and the gang.
The biggest question is: What do we listen to? In researching for this piece, a wrap-up of 10 online articles generated the following list, according to the ‘RoadTripping’ experts.
1. ‘Born to Run‘ by Bruce Springsteen. Featured on 9 of 10 lists, this song appears to be the biggest recommendation. Buoyed by Clarence Clemon’s sax and the push for sexual rebellion and escape, face it, the song has it all!
2. ‘Take it Easy‘ by the Eagles. This song, one that everyone seems to know word for word, has that moment we all wait to sing in unison….’a girl (my lord!) in a flatbed Ford’…..everything Eagles is safe for a road trip. They knew how to get us all involved in their music.
3. ‘Love Shack‘ by the B-52’s. Perhaps one of the iconic songs for any occasion these days, the B-52’s had no idea of the hit they were producing. The song gives us all the feeling of a getaway only known to us. Excitingly, the Shack can be in any woods, anywhere….even in Bellbrook!
4. ‘Layla‘ by Eric Clapton. From the guitar solo, to the ear-worming chorus, Layla is now considered one of the greatest rock songs in history. Point of trivia….Layla is based on a love story from the 7th Century in Arabia. WHAT THE????
5. ‘Don’t Stop Believin” by Journey. I can feel the groans now, but this song has a magic in it. Its audience become story-tellers. Each time you sing it, you feel like you know that south Detroit boy, and that small town girl. It’s a classic in song and in story.
6. ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ by Queen. I have to admit that Queen will forever be my favorite band. Freddie Mercury’s turn with this crazy ballad-meets-rock is exciting, silly, strange and whimsical. Mercury had hoped that the operatic part would be taken more seriously, but for those of singing it in our car, it’s really about fun!
7. ‘Carry On my Wayward Son’ by Kansas. This song appears on 7 of 10 lists. Actually, I may have forgotten how much I do like hearing this song, had it not been for putting this article together. The opening really grabs you in for the duration. Many people take the lyrics to be a spiritual guide to life.
8. ‘You Shook Me All Night Long‘ by AC/DC. In an interview, AC/DC members stated they never exclude this song from their setlist because it is the quintessential moment in every concert where people go ‘haywire.’ Yep, it’s like a musical amphetamine!
9. ‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody‘ by Whitney Houston, is on 7 lists. No doubt, this song will have some critics as it seems to take the list in a different direction. But let’s play fair, I bet you know every single word! Houston’s hit sold ‘gazillions!’
10. ‘Ice Ice baby‘ by Vanilla Ice. With it’s ‘Under Pressure’ bass-line, and hard hitting lyric, people are not even aware of what the song is about. Robert van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) wrote the classic rap when he was 16. Sure, it’s easy to poke fun at the mocked classic, but keep in mind it was the first hip-hop song to hit #1 on Billboard!
So, the flood gates are open….let’s hear it! What do you agree with? What’s missing? What should we all be listening to? Can’t wait to add your ideas to my playlist this summer! Travel safe….and SOUND!!!