There’s a chill in the air as summer finally relieves its muggy grasp on the Miami Valley. On Friday, October 7, downtown galleries, restaurants, boutique shops, brewpubs, museums and other businesses will celebrate with specials, sales, performances, and other fun activities.
For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org or use the location-based mobile site, mobile.downtowndayton.org. Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun!
• Dayton Visual Arts Center, 118 N. Jefferson St.: DVAC presents, Navigations: New Works by Dennie Eagleson Greenberg, Tracy Longley-Cook & John Sousa. Alternative-process and photo-based paintings by three of the region’s most groundbreaking artists. Presented in conjunction with FotoFocus Biennial 2016. Opening Reception is 6-8:00 p.m. Call 224-3822.
• Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E 2nd St.: Michele BonDurant will be presenting a one person show, “Viewed and Constructed,” that contains her paintings and collages. Show will run from 6-9 p.m. Call 952-0246.
• Blind Bobs, 430 E 5th St.: Skate Punk Invasion- live music by LEGBONE, The Wastedist from Jax Beach Florida, The Loveless, The Knuckles. For more information, visit blindbobs.com or call 938-6405.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: Featuring Irish First Fridays, with a happy hour from 3-6 along with a performance by Miami Valley Pipes and Drums at 7 p.m. and live music by Mossy starting at 9 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• Gilly’s, 132 S. Jefferson St.: Old Skool Groove Night from 8 p.m. to midnight, $5 admission charge. Call 228-8414.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Live music by Funky G starting at 9:30 p.m. Call 461-1101.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Dayton Chess Club hosts a Quick tournament for US Chess Federation members. Games are perfect for club chess players and those experienced with online chess games who would like to test their skill over the board. The club opens at 6:30 p.m. and registration ends at 7:25 p.m. The first of four games begins at 7:30. Visit daytonchessclub.com for more details. Call 461-6283.
• Link Bike Share, downtown Dayton,: Link Trick or Treat! Follow Link on social media this Friday for the kickoff of their first Link Trick or Treat event! Four stations will be highlighted in the month of October, but you must solve the riddle on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to uncover the mystery Link station. Everyone who rides to the station will get a treat and the first person to arrive in costume will get a $10 gift certificate to the featured restaurant near that station. The first opportunity is Friday, October 7th from 4pm-6pm. Call 496-3825.
• Masque, 34 N Jefferson St.: Painting with Katie at Club Masque from 6-9 p.m. Enjoy a Halloween themed Paint and drink party. Absolutely no artistic ability or painting experience needed. Cost is $25 includes all paint supplies. Drink specials $4, Beer $2. Contact [email protected] to join us. 11 p.m. is ABFAB FRIDAYS featuring the MASQUE MEN and their great Drag performers! Show time is 11 p.m. Cover $7 21+ $10 18+. Call 228-2582.
MJ’s on Jefferson, 20 N Jefferson St.: The new MJ’s Friday night cast takes the stage! Featuring National Holiday, Sasha Chanel Soule, Daray Lorez and more!! Showtime 11 p.m. Kitchen open till 2 a.m.!! Happy Hour 3-9 p.m. Call 223-3259.
• Nucleus CoShare, 411 W. Fifth St.: Do you need a new routine? Working from home can become a challenge of getting up every day, putting on pants and being more productive. Entrepreneurs, freelancers and startups benefit from a collaborative environment by engaging with others in their field. Join Nucleus from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. to see how co-working can change what you do on a daily basis! Call 259-4686.
• Schuster Center, 1 W 2nd St.: 35MM: A Musical Exhibition. In 35mm, each photo creates a unique song, moments frozen in time; a glimmer of a life unfolding, a glimpse of something happening. A stunning new multimedia musical which explores a groundbreaking new concept in musical theatre… This intricately woven collection of stories told through song re-imagines what the modern American musical can be. Call 228-3630 for ticket prices and availability, show begins at 8:00 p.m.
• Wiley’s Comedy Joint, 101 Pine St.: Featuring comedian Heywood Banks, tickets are $20 with a two-item minimum. Shows start at 7:15 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Call 224-5653.
•Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E Fourth St.: Musicians For Unity is proud to present GemFest 2016! A concert and art show featuring some of the best Dayton has to offer. All proceeds will go to GLSEN Greater Dayton and Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Miami Valley. Enjoy a great evening of food, drink, music and art, and make a big difference in the lives of young people in your community. $5 at the door, and all ages are welcome. Begins at 6:00 p.m. Call 424-3870.
FOOD & DRINK
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: $2-$3 tastings of select wines. Call 225-9463.
• Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: 25% off all specialty pizzas from 4-8 p.m. Dine in only. Call 223-9205.
• BRIM, 464 E 5th St.: Join BRIM on First Friday and fall in love with the magical Columbus-based natural skin care company Under Aurora. Meet maker Tina De Broux and/or enter their Instagram contest (@brimonfifth #brimonfifth). Event is from 6-9 p.m. Call 222-4287.
• Epic Life Fitness, 118 N. Jefferson St.: Patrons can stop by between 4-8 p.m. to schedule a free assessment and receive 20% off their first package with the purchase of four sessions or more. Call 371-8258.
• Platinum Black Salon, 229 N Main St.: Celebrate Platinum Black’s 5th year in business and their 1st year downtown with an open house, featuring great company, cocktails, and snacks. Enjoy 20% off all products and tools during the Open House. Potential new clients can enter a drawing for products. Open house is from 6-8 p.m. Call 294-0774.