Dr. Joseph Edwin Lowes was one of the most prominent residents of Dayton where he was recognized as a distinguished physician and where his work contributed to the growth and building of Dayton. His interests included railroad building and he was the promoter of the street railway and interurban railway systems of Dayton.
Dr. Lowes pursued his education at the age of sixteen years when he enrolled at the Cleveland Homeopathic College in Cleveland, Ohio, and graduated in 1867, at the age of nineteen. When the law allowed him to enter into active medical practice he located in Dayton and took the practice of Dr. Jacob Bosler. He continued in the medical practice alone until he was forty-five years of age, at which time he admitted George W. Miller, of Cincinnati, into partnership. His interest lied in the development of the People’s Railroad Company and the Dayton Lighting Company. He was known to promote both endeavors and after about six years, he gave up the practice of medicine entirely so that he could give his undivided attention to his business interests. He was chosen president of the Dayton Lighting Company and at one time controlled the electric light plants of Dayton, Richmond, Indiana, and three Kentucky towns—Covington, Newport and Dayton. Additionally, he was the father of street electric railroads in Dayton as well as the traction railroads. He built and operated the road of the Dayton & Western Traction Company of Dayton, the Dayton & Northern Traction Company, and was just completing the line of the Dayton & Muncie Traction Company at the time of his death.
Dr. Lowes served as surgeon of the Third Ohio National Guard. He was Surgeon General of Ohio on Governor Asa Bushnell’s staff and was active in preparing the Hospital Corps of Ohio for the Spanish-American War. He was a member of the Examining Board at the National Military Home at Dayton for fifteen years and for a number of years worked countless hours to improve public education as a member of the school board. In politics, he was a staunch republican and took an active part in city and national politics.
In Dayton, on December 28, 1868, Dr. Lowes was married to Miss Melozena Bosler, the only daughter of Dr. Jacob Bosler. The death of Mrs. Lowes occurred in March 1870. In February 1878, Dr. Lowes was then married to Mrs. Emma J. Wheeler, a daughter of Ira and Mary Robbins, of Union County, Ohio. They had two children: Alberta; and Joseph E., who married Mary F. Schaeffer, of Dayton.
Dr. Joseph Lowes died on May 24, 1905 and is buried in Section 38 Lot 3391.
ALBERTA STREET is named for the daughter of Dr. Joseph E. Lowes. In October 1900, she married Mr. Ralph E. DeWeese who lends his name to DeWEESE PARKWAY.
Woodland Cemetery, founded in 1841, is one of the nation’s oldest rural garden cemeteries and a unique cultural, botanical and educational resource in the heart of Dayton, Ohio. Visit the cemetery and arboretum and take one of the many tours Woodland offers free of charge. Most of Dayton’s aviation heroes, inventors and business barons are buried at Woodland.
Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum is located at 118 Woodland Avenue off of Brown Street near the University of Dayton Campus. The Woodland Office is open Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday 8 am to 12 pm. The Cemetery and Arboretum are open daily from 8 am to 6 pm and until 7 pm during Daylight Saving Time. The Mausoleum is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. For more information, call 937-228-3221 or visit the Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum website.